Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Ministry and Family

AT has had the opportunity to help coach a football team in the 9th ward at Bunny Friend Park. It is a great way for him to mentor the kids and be a positive role model for them. It's really sad that these kids rarely have positive men in their lives to show them the right way to go. My kids and I have gone the past two weeks with AT, and it has been eye opening. I didn't know what to think because I'd heard on news reports about how bad that area is supposed to be. In actuality, it's not that different from places in my old hometown of Dothan. There are drug dealers walking around, people playing loud music riding down the street, and curse words being thrown around on the corner. Granted this isn't good but it's not uncommon in many of our towns around the U.S. I don't doubt it gets worse after nightfall but in my time there I saw many similarities. I met a sweet 14 year old girl there who brought her little brother to practice. We began talking and she decided to help with Camden for the rest of practice. It was her first day of high school and she was telling me a little about her life. It was interesting to here her account of Katrina and how her house got flooded. She has dreams of being an OBGYN. I am so happy that she has goals set for herself. I've been praying for her because I don't want anyone to discourage this young girl not to reach her potential. She really made an impact on me. Please join me in praying for Alexis. 

We are trying to do as much ministry as we can here, but we have our own family to think about as well. They are a rowdy bunch! Camden is 6 months and he is teething. My poor baby is miserable. He now has 2 little pegs on the bottom and is trying to crawl. Brennan is all boy! That pretty much sums him up. He loves getting into things and wrestling with his friends. Kolbi is "most popular" of the seminary. There have been numerous people come up to us and say, "you must be Kolbi's parents." Everyone knows him. I guess this a good thing! 

It's going to be difficult to balance our ministry with school work and family time but I know it can and must be done. There is a lot of reading and writing in seminary but I've been enjoying the classes thus far. I'm already learning some great information. Please be in prayer for me and AT as we get into our routine. Pray that we impact lives and stay true to who we are and why we are here. We want to glorify God wherever we go. 

Ministry is not just for seminary students like me and AT. It's not just for church leadership either. Everyone is called to minister. I urge you to walk in the light of the Lord so others will see what it means to be a Christian.

In Christ, 
Alissa

No comments:

Post a Comment