Sunday, August 21, 2011

Our Journey to New Orleans: The Beginning Stages

Hi everyone! I'm new to this blogging thing but I thought what better way to keep our friends and family in tune with what is going on in our world than to have a place for them to follow our journey. So here we go.... I want to start off with a little background on my calling into the ministry. It all started in January while A.T. and I were in Atlanta for a couples weekend. I was 9 months pregnant and couldn't sleep. During that delirious moment, I had a vision of me on a college campus being a ministry leader. I heard God say I needed to attend seminary to obtain this goal. I didn't know if it was my hormones or really a sign from God! I was so lost because I wasn't even sure what seminary was all about. It took me a couple of weeks after that divine intervention before I even thought about it again. I knew I had been asking God for over a year to make my purpose clear to me. I decided I needed to do some research.

I was amazed to see what God had called me to do. I thought seminary was for preachers in a church. I knew that was not my calling so I was so confused. As I began researching, I found that seminaries have numerous tracks for people with various callings. In particular, I found a collegiate ministry track. At that moment I knew it was God who had spoken to me that night in the hotel room. It was definitely confirmation, and I had to be obedient.

I wrestled with the fact I was a mom of a newborn and being called back to school. I began looking at different seminaries with the thought I could do online classes while Brennan and Camden were asleep throughout the day and at night. New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary kept coming up. I looked into the curriculum and saw they had an extension center in Atlanta. I thought I had hit the jackpot! One day while I was on the internet researching the school I saw the main campus in New Orleans was having a preview weekend. At this point, Camden was 6 weeks old. I felt so convicted to go to the preview. I didn't know why but I knew I should be there. This was a week before the event so I had to be quick if I was going to actually make it. I spoke to A.T. about it and he told me if I felt led to go then he was fine with the idea. Let me reiterate the circumstances surrounding the timing of all of this. Camden was 6 weeks, I was breastfeeding, I didn't have hardly any milk stored, A.T. had gone back to work, I didn't know how I would get to New Orleans, and it was a week before the event! All odds were stacked against me. Needless to say it was overwhelming but God provided in all those areas. My mom stayed with the boys and Camden had enough milk until I made it back. Hallelujah!

Preview weekend in New Orleans was amazing! I was so nervous because I was there alone because A.T. had to work. During chapel on the second day of events, the president of NOBTS spoke about the journey of faith. Everyone I spoke to that day and night told me how being in New Orleans would be better for my ministry. I kept thinking these people are crazy! I have 3 kids (one of which is a newborn), a house, my husband has his dream job, and there is an extension center close by to take any classes not taught online. That night I got so convicted that we were supposed to move to New Orleans that I couldn't think straight. I spoke with Brian and Gina, a couple that was attending preview weekend about my concerns. They were so humble and listened to all my concerns. I spent the entire weekend being their third wheel! They told me they were moving to New Orleans and they had 4 kids! God sure does have a way of showing us His way can be done. I was overwhelmed by their obedience to God. I knew that I had to at least try to follow God's will. Later that night, I called A.T. and delivered the news. I know he thought I was crazy to even think we would move to New Orleans. Remember, I told him (and really believed myself) I was only going to New Orleans to see the campus in the event my classes weren't offered online or at the extension center. However, at that moment I was convinced my family and I had to move to New Orleans no matter the cost.

In Christ,
Alissa




No comments:

Post a Comment