Monday, August 22, 2011

Moving Day: What an Adventure!

We moved on my birthday, July 29. It was a crazy day. We were so tired from all the packing and painting getting the house ready for the renters. We decided it would be best to drive at night so the kids would hopefully sleep most of the way. We left around 8 p.m. That was not a good idea! I started off driving and was doing good until around Atmore, AL. I was so sleepy I could barely keep my eyes open. A.T. took over and it wasn't long before he was the same way. We contemplated stopping and getting a hotel but we didn't want to spend the money for only a couple of hours. We decided to get some caffeine and walk around a rest area for a little while. That helped but it was still a nightmare. We arrived at the seminary around 4 a.m. By that time all the kids were up and we were delirious. All we wanted was to get in the apartment and go to sleep. The apartment has tile floors throughout so we brought the futon mattress and Camden's mattress to put on the floor to sleep. All of our belongings wouldn't arrive until later that day.

As soon as we opened the apartment door, the smell of bug spray overtook me. We turned on the light and there were dead bugs all over the floor. I wanted to cry! I quickly told A.T. there was no way I would put my babies on that floor. We didn't know what to do. There was a hotel that the seminary owns across the street so we tried to call to get a room but of course no one was there to take the reservation because it was 4 in the morning! Our last hope was to sleep in the Tahoe. I felt horrible for making my family do this. We found a parking lot at the seminary and took out the back and middle row of seats and laid the futon mattress back there. It was the craziest thing ever but it worked. We all laid down and got us a few hours of sleep before our belongings were supposed to arrive. Can you imagine five people laying in the back of a Tahoe asleep?!

Our belongings were supposed to arrive at 2 p.m. We didn't have anything to sit on, no extra clothes, nothing for the kids to play with or anything. My mom and dad got here around 9 a.m. so we made use of the time and decided to paint the rooms. For anyone who knows my mom, you know she was busy cleaning the apartment. I was so grateful to have her here because the apartment definitely needed her touch. We were so ready for the truck to get here so we could get things unpacked and at least the beds together so the kids could sleep. We waited and waited. The truck arrived at 11 p.m. We didn't realize the truck would be so late so none of us took a nap and were so tired once the truck arrived. We got our second wind though and unpacked boxes pretty much all night. Now as I look back I believe that the furniture arriving late was God's blessing in disguise because I know we wouldn't have had time to properly clean and paint if the furniture was already here. We already had the apartment looking somewhat like a home. Oh what a day!

In Christ,
Alissa

No comments:

Post a Comment