Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Getting Acquainted with New Orleans

In the days following the initial move, my parents were an absolute lifesaver. We had a million boxes to unpack and get organized. My mom was determined to make the apartment look like a home before she left. I'm so grateful to them! I must say the apartment looks great. After their week here, my poor parents were so scared to leave us in New Orleans. We are very close to the 9th ward and of course everyone has heard of the things that happen there. Dropping my parents off at the bus station was an adventure! AT and my dad were inside the  bus station buying the tickets and left us in the Tahoe with it running. Next thing we know a woman was looking into the truck thinking no one was in there. When I say looking in, I mean face up to the window about to steal the truck. It scared me and my mom to death. That was the last thing that needed to happen before they left their baby girl and grandkids in a new city. I had to reassure them we would be fine and things like that don't happen all the time. I'm sure they are still worried about us even now. This is the most my dad has ever called me in my life. I guess he is trying to make sure I'm still alive!

It has been very interesting getting to know the area. The seminary is in a "bad" section of town. It is gated but as soon as you step outside the gate you can tell the difference. We even have campus police to make sure no one jumps the fence. The nickname of the seminary is "Mayberry in the Hood." Everywhere we go people are arguing. It's just a mean place. Any of my fellow Auburn fans who have ever been to LSU understand what I'm saying. Louisiana is just a different kind of place. There are daiquiri places on every corner. People actually drive up, buy a daiquiri, and drive off drinking an alcoholic beverage. I've never experienced anything like it. With all this being said, this is the perfect place for ministry. I'm so excited for what God is going to do through AT and me for His glory in this city!

In Christ,
Alissa


2 comments:

  1. Alissa,
    Your story is beautiful! Our God has a way of always working things for His good!
    You have a marvelous testimony, keep sharing!
    But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12:9

    Chasiti

    ReplyDelete