Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Reflecting on my Life: My Testimony

I am absolutely amazed at what God has done in my life thus far! For those of you that don't know my testimony, I'll start from the beginning. I was born and raised in Dothan, Alabama by my parents, Alvie and Linda, and to a certain extent my sister, Amanda. I'm the baby so everyone pretty much babied me. I got pregnant at the age of 14. I had my son Kolbi at age 15 when I was a sophomore in high school. My life changed overnight. It appeared everyone's perception of me changed as well. I was always the good student making all A's and being involved in everything. Certain teachers and other adults wrote me off once they found out my little secret. They thought I would never amount to anything since I was a teenage mom. That was hard to swallow. The assistant principal tried to send me to an alternative school during my pregnancy but my mom wasn't having it! Even though my family didn't approve of what I did, they were always there for me no matter what. My mom always told me I could do and be anything I wanted to be.

I remember being at home on maternity leave doing homework making sure I could prove people wrong. I had to keep up and even surpass the other students. I had a friend who took a tape recorder to my AP History class so I could hear the lecture and write my own notes. I continued to make all A's throughout high school. It's crazy because I wasn't even doing it for me. I was doing it thinking it would change people's perspective of me. I was so busy living for others' approval. During my 11th and 12th grade years I won homecoming attendant. I could tell the faculty at Northview High didn't want me to win but my peers had voted so it was nothing they could do. They thought I was a bad role model when in actuality I told everyone I knew not to follow in my footsteps. I also became a cheerleader during my senior year. I remember times when the cheerleaders would go in the stands to hold and play with different kids. However, I was not allowed to hold my own child for fear it would portray the wrong image. I won my school's beauty pageant that year. I was the first African American ever to win. I'm not saying all this to show what I've done and get praise. I'm saying it to show God's provision and how it doesn't matter what others think about you. Anything is possible. On the outside I looked like I was doing well. However, on the inside I always felt inadequate. I actually dreaded having to tell people my son's age because I felt they would feel different about me. I was very insecure.

I began dating AT in college. He was the best thing that had ever happened to me. He took Kolbi in like his own. He was not the typical Auburn football player. He actually cared and wanted the best for me. We now have 3 boys. Kolbi is now 11, Brennan is 3, and Camden is 6 months. AT is the most amazing father and husband I could have ever prayed for. God definitely answers prayers!

Even though I had a great family, I still knew something was missing in my life. I just couldn't put my finger on it. It was God's presence in my life. I needed a relationship with Him. God called me to stay at home with Brennan when he was 1. I would be lying if I said I was happy about it. I had just finished my MBA and thought I was going to move up the corporate ladder. I now look back and know staying home was the best thing for me at that time. God had to sit me down in order to lift me up. I was so busy with "life" that I didn't have time for Him. During the time I was a stay at home mom, I began going to Cascade Hills Church, attending bible studies, and having quiet time. I learned so much about myself during that time. Alicia McGlamory, who is the women's leader, took me under her wing. She showed me there was no need in worrying about what people think. She taught me God was the only person I should strive to please. I know God sent Alicia into my life to help me become a better wife, mother, and Christian. I actually got re-baptized on Mother's Day 2010 and became sold out for Christ!

About a year later is when I got the calling to seminary. This was after many prayers to God trying to figure out my purpose. As I've expressed in a previous post, God called me to seminary for Collegiate Ministry while I was 9 months pregnant with Camden. I always felt I was supposed to go back to school but never in a million years did I think it would be seminary. Now the goal for the rest of my life is to lead other souls to Christ. I know His saving grace and how he can redeem a lost soul. I was so lost for the majority of my life. I want everyone to know that there is nothing too bad that He can't bring you through. If he brought this lost little girl who had a baby at 15 to the light, He will do the same for you. Please seek a relationship with Him today. He is waiting for you. He not only wants you to be happy but to have joy! When you have joy no one can take it away. Thank you for reading my LONG testimony. I hope this helps someone out there. I love you all!

In Christ,
Alissa

2 comments:

  1. My sista!

    Thanks for sharing! It has been an honor of mine to know you,AT and the family! YOu are a blessing and I am excited for all God is going to do in and through you and your family!!

    Love you lots and Blessings!!
    Tosh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tosha! You are an inspiration to me. I could always see how much you loved God and I knew I wanted to have that in me as well.

    ReplyDelete