Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Seminary and Storms

We are two weeks into our first semester of seminary, and I'm just getting an opportunity to update the blog. There is reading followed by more reading topped off with a double dose of reading! It's pretty intense because we have no background in biblical studies, but we are actually enjoying it. Time management has been hard these first couple of weeks. I was ready to pull my hair out a couple of times, but I think we finally are getting into a routine. I've already had 3 quizzes and currently working on my first paper. They don't waste any time! I'm so excited to have this opportunity to learn more so I can teach others about our God.

Last Monday when I walked Kolbi outside to catch the bus for his first day of school, I was overwhelmed by the smell of something burning. Later that morning on my way to take Camden and Brennan to daycare, I heard the radio announcer say there was a marsh fire in East New Orleans. We live in East New Orleans! Because the fire was secluded, there was no way to put it out. The government officials hoped it would die out on its own. After a couple of days of the entire New Orleans area being covered in smoke due to changing winds, the officials finally decided to send helicopters because the fire was intensifying. This effort lasted until Tropical Storm Lee arrived the end of last week. Everyone was praying the rain would put the fire out and hopefully cool down the temperatures which had been in the upper 90's for the past month. All I could think about, however, was the meteorologists' prediction of over 20 inches of rain associated with Lee. We live in a first floor apartment and it's not uncommon for flooding to occur. My poor dad called me a million times checking on us. I tried to ease his mind but he couldn't sleep for watching the weather channel. I'm happy to say nothing flooded near the seminary. Thank you Jesus because we didn't have flood insurance! I guess I need to add that to my to do list before the next storm. Despite all the rain we experienced over the past few days, the marsh fire is still smoldering. I don't even know how that is possible, but I just walked outside and the smell is back :(

In light of the beginning of classes and the storms all around, I want to remind everyone to be on fire for the Lord. Even though storms come in your life, don't allow them to "put out" that flame that is inside of you. Continue to strive to be more like Christ. Show everyone around you that your circumstances do not define who you are. Let them know you will always stand on the truth that through Christ all things are possible. I pray everyone is having a great Hump Day! I better get back to my school work...

In Christ,
Alissa


No comments:

Post a Comment